GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

Spell Hunter (Faery Rebels, #1) - R.J. Anderson Spell Hunter is a refreshing dip into the younger fiction. The age range is slightly lower than my usual standard (I would say this is a 10-12 range story), but the grade category does not take away from the enjoyment of reading this book. R.J. Anderson constructs a world where faeries and humans live side by side. The faeries do not welcome the humans into their territory, and hold some contempt for the alien intruders. The youngest faerie of the Oakenwyld comes of age and is folded into the fading faerie society. She dons her newly self-proclaimed alias, Knife, inspired by the her stolen weapon from the human world.Knife ventures to the human house, intrigued by the larger humans. She soon befriends a human boy, Paul, and with his help, Knife starts to unravel the hidden secrets of the ailing faery colony.Don't mistaken these little folk to prance around in the meadows.Our current rendering of the fae folk have produced a line of delicate and simpering pixies. However, Anderson's faerie hunt, scavenge, rule and fight. This story helps do justice to the mythology and lore for these mystical creatures. Knife is a great female protagonist. She's spunky, blazes her own trail, and uses her own insight to lead her. She also has a strong loyalty to her faerie family in the face of choosing between maternal love and romantic love. It is nice to say "I would do ANYTHING for love!", but I am finding that others suffer the consequences and family tends to lose out to love interest. In certain situations (and books), it is better for the hero/ine to choose the romantic partner. But in other instances (and books), the family always get slighted. Knife's loyalty and selflessness is a new direction away from "The boyfriend is always more important!!" This is not to say that Knife doesn't have her own character flaws to conquer. Despite her loyalty, she does have a streak of self-fulfillment that tends to conflict with the best interest of the other characters. Knife is a young faerie, and watching her develop and grow as a person and as a leader added a realistic backbone to the literature.Another wonderful quality of this book is the male protagonist. Like other books I have highly praised, Paul actually helps enhance the story. The main focus of Spell Hunter is not Paul and Knife, but the friendship between these two plays a supporting role. Watching Paul develop in his own right just adds a special flavor to the book.Lastly, the story leans heavily on a mystery case, which plays as the core of the storyline. For the entire book, I was guessing, figuring, and fabricating my own theories. People I trusted turned suspicious. Then I had to flip my opinion back again. I held my breath during fight scenes. I crossed my fingers with every conflict. And in the end, I found that my own educated guesses were torn apart.There were so little flaws that I cannot even really highlight these portions. I suppose the only one that comes to mind the finale of the book. I felt that the conclusion of the mystery had a few weak explanations and lose device threads. However, it did not diminish the fun I had when I finished the book. If you want a lighter well rounded read, then grab this book. I'm excited to read the rest of the books in the series.