GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

Unearthly - Cynthia Hand I wasn't expecting too much from this book. Pretty cover plus angels plus awesome chapter art tends to lead to disaster. So I was floored when I gobbled up "Unearthly" in a hurry. The main point of unbridled joy centered around Clara. She moved to a new town, but she doesn't get the insta-new girl treatment that is plaguing the field at the moment. Her moving experiences are real and believable. She makes a few close friends and ends up with the attention of two really hot guys, but for completely different reasons. The boys of the YA Love Triangle are not the typical "opposite of one another". Yes, there are differences, but they are not a mirror image of one another. The two male characters feel like real characters. The author even treated the Rival of the Main Character with some respect, which instantly won my admiration. Clara's family doesn't play a back seat to her own story. Her relationship with her mother and Jeffery's own storyline fall in sync with Clara's own developing story. The rift between Meg and Clara really gave the story that extra kick. I went through a lot of the same issues with my own mother at this age, so the story was close to my heart. I would also like to add that the cheekiness of the book, such as the names of the characters Angela and Christian, were a perfect blend of campiness and symbolism. The author even poked fun at her own story for including these elements, and helped enrich her own writing. I believe that symbolism is overlooked in most YA fiction today. It may be that it provokes negative feelings towards reading (as so many English classes shove this concept down students' throats) or that it would require some forethought from the writer, but Hand steps up to the plate and incorporates these elements with grace and ease. I was also thrilled that I correctly guess Christian's BIG PLOT SURPRISE, and that the revelation was still so pleasant and welcomed into the story.However, none of this compares to the warm, fuzzy feeling I caught when I finished the book, and realized that the religious element of the book did not discourage me from fully enjoying the story. Sorry to say this, but I am not a big fan of organized religion. I have spent too many years living in a place where people use your religious status as an indicator on how you will be treated. It does have a Christian-flavor, but it was not propaganda in disguise. If nothing else, the author conveys the message that love, not duty, should triumph in your life. And I was cheering like MAD for Clara when she finally realized this vital revelation.The issues with the book are so small compared to the things I enjoyed about the book. I never felt that pop between Christian and Clara, which would have added some extra zing to the story. I think that was it.If you are looking for a summer read that will provoke your heart and your mind, I would highly recommend this book.