GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

This is Not a Test - Courtney Summers Everyone should be proud of me. I did not make ONE reference to "Shaun of the Dead" for the entire book.Okay. It is out of my system now.Go to the bookstore. Look in the YA isle. Read the dust jackets. Vampires. Werewolves. Ghosts. Zombies. Mummies. Politicians. It is rows and rows of monsters and things that go bump in the night. So what makes this one stand out from all the others? Simple: It is a story of the human spirit that happens to feature zombies.There have been numerous other reviews written about this book, so I have little else to add. But I will say that featuring what can be endured, what we can accomplish, made this book rise above all the other paranormal Thriller-themed YA novels. This book is not just about surviving. Summers (thankfully) rejects that formula, and instead, writes about living. Living and surviving are not even in the same neighborhood. Surviving is what most people do from day to day. Living takes courage and strength, and in the land of the dead, the writer shows that it is possible, even at the worst of times, even when you are ready to join the mindless numbers of auto-pilot surviving lumps of flesh, that living is worth the effort.Just a quick side note: I would have given this book the full five stars if the writer did not just cut off the story with a conclusion. I almost marked it down just for the juvenile, pretentious ending. This is Not a Test is well worth the investment and the pain.