GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

Obsidian (Lux, #1)

Obsidian (Lux, #1) - Jennifer L. Armentrout This review can also be found at Great Imaginations! First and foremost, I didn’t have high expectations for this book. Many of my friends went crazy for it, but when I read the description, I thought that it was yet another book attempting to ride the Twilight coattails. To be frank, there was little action until I was well 30% into the book. Up until them, trivial, small events occurred, while Daemon’s hot, god-like body played center stage. So imagine my shock when I got sucked into the book and ended up really enjoying Obsidian. Above all, I found this book to be realistic, addictive, and best of all, sincere.I don’t want to give anything away about the storyline, but the culture that Armentrout creates is executed with substance and style. The physical attraction, the family alliance, and the budding relationship between each character were a tasteful example of how YA should be written. No side-swept best friends, no insta-love, and no flimsy paranormal elements to destroy the book and sending it to the DNF pile.Katy, thankfully, is a well-rounded character. Avoiding the Mary Sue complex, she is a shy, book blogging shut in that has no idea that she is beautiful until it is pointed out. (Sidenote: why does this keep occurring in YA books? Girls, it is okay to know and admit that you are beautiful. It doesn’t make you any less of a person to look in the mirror and acknowledge that you are a beautiful person. Don’t wait until a guy comes along to convince you that you are so.) Her relationship with her mother was a strong, well defined balance of power and friendship. If you go to the bookstore, it seems that every other book throws the main heroine into the role of head-of-the-household. It happens, but it has run its course, and frankly, overused and poorly accomplished. I believe that some authors do not take into account that this situation changes a young person. They do not escape from it well balanced and without issues. Thankfully, Armentrout dodged this YA bullet and creates a mother that needs her daughter, but does not become dependent on Katy. She is a grieving mother who, herself, dives into her own storyline as she tries to move on and find her own companionship. Katy’s character was a surprise to see in a fiction aimed for young adults. She could, in fact, be just the typical teenage girl. She was simply special because she became friends with one of the twins. She’s not a secret princess, or the last of some ancient and powerful race. Dee and Katy become friends, and by proxy, Katy is yanked into the super-natural world of her next door neighbors.Daemon. Here it is: I just do not like him. He emotionally abuses Katy, constantly calling her “not good enough” and that he and his sister deserve “better”. Often in the story, he physically traps Katy and shadows her every move. There is a reason for his actions, but his redemption doesn’t go as deep as his horrible attitude. Then he tries to crawl back and make good with her, only to repeat the cycle. Not something that I would encourage girls to read and accept. Even his god-like status annoys me to no end. And constantly saving Katy from a horrible demise (bear, bad buy, truck) left a bad taste in my mouth. Daemon, sad to say, suffers from a touch of Gary Stew-ism. The author makes a plea bargain for Daemon (that under all of the layers of hate and snootiness, he just wants to be normal as well). A decent side shined through from time to time, but not enough to convince me that he is a decent person. The random, stalker-like runs ins by Daemon really rubbed me the wrong way. Katy does get to reverse the roles and comes to the rescue herself, which is a nice switch, but I tried to like Daemon, but the guy is just an ass. But, despite this fact, the chemistry and the attraction between Katy and Daemon was still wonderful to read. This love-hate relationship was the true center of the book, but at least it was played at the right angle. Kudos to the author! One of the factors to help save Obsidian from the romance-only pit of hell is the select portions of the book that are not dedicated to Katy and Daemon’s “true love forever” tension. Katy actually has friends, and spends quality time with her new found circle. Even the beautiful arch rival, Ash, blends well into the storyline. The competition has her own moments of nasty and sweet, which adds to the wonderful depth of the entire story. She doesn’t spend her entire time obsessing over her crush, thinking about the hot boy, or bemoan that she is incomplete without a boyfriend. Rock on, Katy, rock on.Dee is another major point of the book that I wish to address. She is the twin of Dickhead Daemon, and shares his extraordinary good looks, and contains powers of her own. When I started the book, Dee’s character was in danger of coming across as needy and clingy. However, Dee was the embodiment of loneliness and tugged at the good ole heartstrings with her constant need for a friend outside of her own kind. Dee was charming, sweet, and there were many times that I wished I could have hugged. Dee was also the instigator to drag Katy into their world. Even Daemon’s concern for his sister helped hold the storyline in place. It is nice to see that some books still value family as well as friendship. I hate that she and Ash, however, are often left out of the fighting. Sadly, it is the “boys” who are responsible for the fighting and the stalking of the enemy.Obsidian is a harmonious blend of romance, supernatural, humor, and sweetness. If you love the metaphysical genre, then this book is a must-have.