GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

Saving June

Saving June - Hannah Harrington Read this review over at Great Imaginations!I loved “Speechless”. In fact, it was one of the books I placed on my top ten favorite reads of 2012 . So when I was approved for another book by this author, I was so happy. Due to my book backup, I was finally able to get to this advance copy.Harrington still keeps true to her fresh, non-apologetic material. She writes for a tougher crowd. Saving June, however, felt more judgmental than abrasive and edgy.Harper could hold her own as a major female character, but there was no real connection to her as a person, even though the book was from her point of view. I did like that she was a grittier and majorly flawed character, but I never felt that I really hit it off with her. Which is a shame, because I love the name “Harper” (weird side note here). Harper constantly kept making remarks about all boys being sex-driven and other such stereotypical labeling. Jake, the leading male role in the book, was able to call her out on her attitude towards the male gender, but it seemed that no real repercussions came from the unnecessary boy-bashing. Harper’s ideas never changed, and she never hit a realization that it isn’t right to place the blame on one sex. It seemed that, from Harper’s POV, Jake’s redeeming quality was his lack of “jerkiness." And Jake, while holding onto his own set of major issues, kept bouncing between a guy who took the high road and a guy who dealt out his own style of slandering other people. I really did not appreciate the scene of slut shaming that came from him. And just like other major conflict in the book, the entire thing was smoothed over and forgiven. I did feel a certain remorse for each of the three central characters: Harper with her “troubled teenager” label, Laney fighting her own negative labels, and Jake with his whole slew of issues. However, the deeper level of each person just never made its way to the surface. But the drama for the sake of plot development really wore thin. It is a story about living, and what it means to be alive, but touching on every single controversial issue in one story is over the top.Religion and secular discussion plays a pivotal role in the book. Music heavily influences the storyline, which created a touching atmosphere throughout the entire novel. Harper and Jake visit upon the subject and often pull music, both old and new, into the conversation. Both sides of the religion fence shouldn’t worry. Harrington does not flat out attack or praise religion, but simply makes a case that some people simply need it, and other people do not. My favorite portion of the story happened as Harper made a point to Jake, a pop music hater, that some people need their catchy, top of the chart singles fix to get through life. I found that the entire debate saved this book from a lower rating. I can agree with Harper wholeheartedly on this subject. Religion draws a heavy parallel to spirituality.Even with a touching ending, I felt that the characters never developed, and that Saving June was simply holding back a more profound story at the expense of the constant soap opera type drama. I still have this author on my automatic buy list, but this is a story I am not going to remember in 6 months.