GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

Unwind

Unwind - Neal Shusterman This book was recommended by a large majority of my friends. After reading the book, I can see why this story is so highly rated.First, Shusterman is a master of building characters. Conner was the perfect mix of danger, anger, pride, and poetry. I really fell hard for Conner, and I was rooting for him every step of the way. He embodied a realistic spirit of a troubled kid. He didn't make excuses for his behavior, and in the end, he learned to control it, and used it as his greatest strength. Risa was also very delightful. The romance that blossomed for this character, and her blend of strong and feminine created a girl who anyone could identify with. Lev's story was nothing less than perfection, and even Roland created a vast range of emotional responses from me, the reader.Another great element of this book was the twisted story line. I was sucker punched so many times by the story line! It is hard to shock me, but "Unwind" caused me to cheer, to cry, to panic, and towards the end of the book, to feel spooked and frightened. The arguments that backed the story, abortion, life, and religion, were treated with high regard and integrity. Shusterman praised and condemned every single element. I'm iffy with these issues, but this story left me with some deeper questions. Even the religious aspect was palatable. I tend to avoid any religious books, since I do not feel comfortable with the entire subject of god and how such a being plays in our lives, but Lev's fall from grace, and his final conclusion in the book made me cheer for his revelation. This book is a work of political and moral art. No matter what side of the fence you stand on, "Unwind" can be a common ground for every party.