GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee The field of YA fiction has given angels the sugar coated treatment. The books are fluffy attempts of hard core romance and the characters come off as airheads who live and breathe self-created drama.Then comes Angelfall. I will admit that this book is not for the light of heart, and if you love horror flicks, then this book is a must-read.First, the author builds a post-apocalyptic world that one could believe in, and the details of survival and death are so realistic that I had to put the book down from time to time to get over my spooked feelings. Also, the main character is a girl I could believe in. The typical beauty-in-secret is actually likable, since she disregards her personal appearance for the sake of her ill mother and crippled sister. She was a real girl, and I actually felt a strong compassion for Penryn. The author must have done her research, or had a sick family member herself. The details of the mentally ill mother was dead-on. Kudos to the author for actually caring about authentic details!I wanted to give the romance its own spotlight - it was so GREAT. If the love for wastelands and "The Day After" plot didn't hook you in, the tension between Raffe and Penryn will keep you coming. I hate to compare one book by trashing another book, but I just HAVE to say this: Raffe is what Edward was suppose to be in Twilight: Beautiful, aloof, powerful, and in danger of losing himself. Also, the struggle to deny his love had a valid excuse. I loved Raffe, and I love that he was fleshed out just as much, if not more, than Penryn. This book is also wonderfully hartbreaking. Ee doesn't believe in "happily ever after", and for this book, it really worked. Everything was so sad and heart wrenching. The decisions, the acts of survival, and the main character's struggle with her sister and how to defend a monster is so real and painful.My only complaints about the book is a only a few minor details. First, I wanted more description of the world - I wanted more than what the author gave us. Second, I thought the scorpion angels were a little too far fetched.Overall, this 99 cent Kindle book deserves more coverage. This book is better than a majority of full cost Kindle books, which just proves to never judge a book by its cover price.