GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

Divergent (Divergent #1)

Divergent (Divergent #1) - Veronica Roth I must say that I ended up enjoying this book. Many mature readers have claimed that this book is just a long excuse for teenage rebellion, but I found that it was actually a story of a young girl who is trying to find out out her place in life. Nothing is more difficult than trying to determine where you fit into the scheme of your own life. There were some major flaws with the book. First of all, the author was very skimpy on the details of the post-apocalyptic world, which served as the setting for the book. Many times, I felt a little lost and frustrated at the lack of details and back story. Also, the book needed to help the reader understand that stupid acts of rebellion do not equal bravery. Last, I do not like how the author claimed that only certain people do not fit into the mold of expectations, or factions. No two people are alike, and people from different cultures, religious backgrounds, countries, identities, and even families never follow a definition. However, the book had some really excellent themes. Tris, the main character, discovered that the small thing require just as much bravery as the large, fearful thing. Jumping off a building might be less scary than taking a chance on love and friendship. Roth also covered her own personal religion in a very respectable and tasteful manner. Many religious writers use their story as possible propaganda, yet Roth respected her views while keeping her audience in mind. I wish the romance was not as paper thin and forced, but the message about tolerance, self acceptance and the different level of bravery made "Divergent" a great read.