GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter Series #1)

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter Series #1) - Actual rating 3.5/5There are two conflicting sides to “Dexter”. First, the writing was simply beautiful. Lindsay captured a very disturbed yet accepting main titled character in his book. The lines delivered by the huggable murderer were poetic, humorous and often cleverly insightful. Here are some quotes that I devoured after reading:” “Really now: If you can't get me my newspaper on time, how can you expect me to refrain from killing people?” “Weren't we all crazy in our sleep? What was sleep, after all, but the process by which we dumped our insanity into a dark subconscious pit and came out on the other side ready to eat cereal instead of our neighbor's children?” “I'm quite sure more people fake an awful lot of everyday human contact. I just fake all of it."“I am unlovable...I have tried to involve myself in other people, in relationships, and even - in my sillier moments - in love. But it doesn't work. Something in me is broken or missing and sooner or later the other person catches me Acting or one of Those Nights comes along.” The best quotes have to come from Dexter and traffic:“Nothing for it but to go home. I drove slowly, a few miles per hour under the speed limit. In Miami that's like wearing a KICK ME sign on your back. No one actually kicked me, of course. They would have had to slow down for that. But I was honked at seven times, flipped off eight, and five cars simply roared around me, either onto the sidewalk or through oncoming traffic.”As far as characters go, Dexter strikes a chord at a personal level. If you have ever been an outsider, then it is hardly a chore to find comfort in his own quirky flaws. He doesn’t get people, he has n idea how to fit in, so the title character creates this persona and cuts off his emotions. He empties himself out and leaves a shell of a man, functioning on a basic level, and resorting to witty inner dialog for entertainment. Despite my love for the character, I could not give it any higher than 3.5 stars.First off, Dexter crossed the animal killing line. That is a huge turn off.I became a little irritated by the slaughter of prostitutes. In general, I highly dislike crime novels. If you ever need to write an easily written-off death, kill a homeless person or a prosititute. I understand that Dexter is damaged goods, and his emotional state would have a team of physiologist busy for about a few decades, but the constant deaths of female sex workers is a bit more than I can handle.I found the ending leaning towards deus ex machina. The ending was a cop out, and although Dexter’s secret past was horrifying and gag-worthy, the huge twist left me feeling a bit let down.I’m unsure if I will continue the series. Animal murder doesn’t sit well with me, but I do love the main character.