GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

Midwinterblood

Midwinterblood - Marcus Sedgwick Find this review at Great Imaginations!I owe a huge thanks to Wendy Darling over at The Midnight Garden for this recommendation. I wanted to read it when I read the description (Vikings) and she really pushed hard for this one. I can see why she was such a strong advocate for this book.Even though this is categorized as a horror book, I didn't find it too...horrible. Horror is not a fond category to me personally, and I was flat out shocked when I researched this book and found the novel labeled as such. It was sad, and it was creepy at times, and tragically romantic, but I didn't ever see the horror elements come through (and I am not complaining about that at all).Midwinterblood stands out on its own, in fact. I would say it really defies all casual labels and is a tough book to categorize. The book has to be one of the saddest yet romantic books I have ever laid my hands upon. Viking lore is strong in this tale, but it is not a strong presence. Think of it as a slight lovely flavor for the setting. This may sound like I am flaking out, but so many things that I loved about Midwinterblood are spoilers to any person who has not read the book. I will say that I love how the author builds up the suspense for the reader as we travel back through time, discovering something about the past which each new section. The thread that run through this book and ties the entire plot together was a huge gamble and might have come across as a gimmick. But Sedgwick did a fantastic job holding his theme in place. The main element of eternal love was so strong and slightly painful at times, but it hurt so good. Fate and destiny seem to twist and turn and drive the plot. Don't get me wrong - this isn't your mother's instalove book. I would say that Sedgwick transcended the flowery definition of love and wrote about the power of a greater form of admiration. The writing, I have to say, impressed me as well. I really enjoy the author's style. He tends to say so much with using so little. He has a strong sense of action, and avoids using overpowering descriptions of his world. It takes a certain level of maturity and confidence to center a book around action without beating the audience over the head with action verbs. I usually avoid high action books for this reason. I tend to lean towards literature that centers on character development. However, Midwinterblood broke through the stereotype and injected some very raw and very real emotion into the action-heavy storyline. It was brawny and full of heart. I am frankly amazed that this blend of plot devices created a harmonic storyline.I loved this book. I loved how the author took a chance with the story and the characters. This book must have been a huge risk, and, at the end of the day, both the author and the reader won. I highly recommend this book to everyone.