GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)

Mockingjay - Collins Suzanne The last book of the Hunger Games. I can say that I enjoyed the story - up until halfway through the book. Then, it seemed that the story took a twisted, horrible path and never turned back.First, I will say that I applaud Suzanne Collins for approaching the subject of war in a more realistic tone. So many of us expected the warm, fuzzy ending that youth literature seems to share. And it is refreshing to point out that in a war, one side is no better than the other, and people will do anything to win. No one is the real winner in war, and there is no black and white for each side, just a hazy, sickly gray of hate.However, after getting to know and love Katniss, I was severely disappointed that she spent the entire novel telling the audience how worthless she is. For such a strong female character, it seems that every bit of character development was thrown out the window as the main hero descended into madness. By the end of the story, I didn't care about the outcome, and I would have rather seen Katniss dead than this unrecognizable waste of a person. I was happy that Peeta "won" as the love interest. However, Gale's reaction at the end caused me to despise and hate him. After everything that happened, he turned out to be a spineless, fake boy hero. And I found that this was just too much to bear.This story made me sad and bitter. It is not fun to see the characters you love spiral into misery. I have too much of that in real life, I do not need my books to reflect the misery of real life.