GreatImaginationsLyn

Heartless Lyn @ Great Imaginations

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost"

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer, Stephenie Meyer 9/30/12When I first joined Goodreads, I had about 10 years that I had slacked off on my reading. Twilight was one of the first books that caused me to take up reading once again. I had the book rated at a 5 when I first joined.Four years later, I see how much I disagreed with my initial thoughts about the book. Edward isn't hot or romantic, he is abused and manipulative.He attempts to kill himself when he thought Bella was dead. He removed her engine out of her car, and made Alice keep her hostage for sleepovers when he left. He gets downright pissed off when she talks to other guys. He constantly puts himself down, and Bella has to constantly tell him that he's so great and wonderful. He shows up, unannounced at her house. He breaks into her room every.Single.Night. He also insists on driving her everywhere, even when she says 'no'. He forces Bella to become dependent on him, then he up and leaves her because of one incident. He doesn't try to seek out any other way to resolve a problem, he just leaves her. He talks about a girl he once dated (Tanya int he Alaskan clan) and tells Bella the he doesn't like her - trashing an ex. He makes sure that she knows he can kill her but would never, ever, ever do that to her.This is a direct passage out of Twilight:"Let go!" I insisted. He ignored me. I staggered along sideways across the wet sidewalk until we reached the Volvo. Then he finally freed me - I stumbled against the passenger door.She wants him to let her go, and he doesn't. She even mentions that she is finally freed from his grip.That is not healthy. It doesn't take someone physically hitting another person for it to become abuse. Bella is another major problem with this book. She enjoys seeing people as beneath her attention or care. She ignores her friends for the sake of Edward. She needs therapy instead of a wedding. The secondary characters are the only saving grace of this book.